Friday, February 7, 2014

Questions

After a huge brainstorming session and research i have narrowed my questions down. 

I feel that i am in-between the stage of being a dancer and teaching as although i teach dance and i also still attend auditions.

 I feel i don't want my inquiry to be based completely on the teaching aspect of dance, as although this is something i am extremely interested in I feel at this stage of my career looking into psychology behind dancers will be more beneficial. This is something i am very interested in as i have also been aware of why people are doing things and how dancers think compared to non-dancers. 

This will also help me as a dance teacher, understanding dancers and the way we think and the profession will help me to share my experiences and that of others with children and help them if they want to persue a career in dance or whether they are doing it just for fun. 

'Pressures of the Industry' is something i am very passionate about as i am feeling the pressures of the industry and inquiring about this will help my professional practise as i am hoping to finding coping strategies and reasoning that will be able to help others as well as myself. 

Here are some of the questions i have come up with. 

  • What are the main pressures of the performing arts industry and how do they affect dancers and what are the different ways which we can cope with these?
  • What are the physiological problems caused from the pressures of the industry?
  • How does depression affect dancers?
  • What are different methods and solutions for dancers to cope with the physiological problems caused from the pressures of the industry?
  • What are considered the main pressures of the Industry for a dancer and what are the best solutions for coping?
If you are interested in the same topics or have experiences of the topics mentioned give me an email and we can start to form so SIG. My email is heathersophiesmith@hotmail.co.uk 

Heather X 



5 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,

    Its good to see you have narrowed your questions down! I have just read all 3 of your recent blog posts again and I can truly relate to everything your saying. The pressure of the industry can get too much at times and to suceed you need tough skin! I feel I am in the same position as you, although I am trying to go down the teaching route it doesnt however stop me from going to auditions. I feel more passionate about a career in teaching more than I have before but I know I would jump at the chance to perform again!

    The article you posted is very interesting as I think every dancer can relate to this. Every dancer I feel is conscious of what they look like and this is the nature of it. Standing in a leotard day in, day out we are bound to observe every part of ourselves especially when there are mirrors surrounding the studio. It gets tough and it can actually break people as I have seen close friends go through tough times relating to eating disorders. I think looking into dance psychology will be very interesting, I am still debating on two inquiries which I am passionate about but I think I need to do some more reading to find out more!

    If you find any more articles on dance psychology, please share with me! Also Megan Lewis posted a link to dance uk regarding it being dance psychology week. They will be showing videos on different aspects of dance psychology and it looks very interesting! This will be good for you I think. The first one is in the morning and the subject is 'Dancers self-esteem'. Hope this helps. Speak soon, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, just had a look at some of your blogs! I think possible our paths may cross in the way we are going with our inquiries! I would love to exchange information and discuss stuff with you!
    Thanks
    Rohanne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather

    I would just like to ask exactly what is the SIG group task? I have seen you mentioned it at the end and am not sure exactly what it means and what we need to do with creating an SIG group?

    I really find your development to your inquiry very interesting, and have also been looking along the mental aspects of dance. It is a topic I feel is often put to the side where people don't realise how important it is to be mentally prepared, know how to deal with the pressure, and often we don't know how or what to deal with in this industry.
    I have also recently discovered Dance Uk which I thought you might interested in too, which has a lot of new projects on dance psychology coming up.
    Gaby x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gabrielle

    I'm going to make a Facebook group page for my SIG. What is your Facebook name?

    Will have a look into Dance UK thanks for sharing!

    Heather X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rohanne what is your Facebook, I'm creating a SIG on there as its easier to share information and discuss :)

    Heather X

    ReplyDelete